Syria replaced the name of one of the most famous park (gardens) in conjunction with the first centennial massacres to the name “Martyrs of the Syriac”

  • Written by:

Ankawa.com – Exclusive – Damascus – Translated by Rashwan Issam Al-Daqaq
Syria government replaced the name of a famous park in the center of the capital Damascus to the name of “Martyrs Park (Garden) of Syriac”. This change represents the first official recognition for the massacres of Christian people in 1915 by the Ottoman Turk forces.
Pro-government network sites confirmed that the Governor of Damascus, Basher Alsuban, issued recently a decision to replace the park name of Alqishleh to the name “Martyrs Park of Syriac”. This park located in the vicinity of the area of Bab Toma near the Patriarch of the Syriac Orthodox at the area of Leshad. It was reported that the center of the park will include later a memorial statue represent the Syriac martyrs.
An observer for the site of Ankawa.com said that Damascus had taken this step not the sake of loving Syriac people, but because of hate to Turks who support the armed Islamic factions seeking to over through the Syrian regime since 4 years ago.
The Syrian government and the churches in Damascus supports the activities carried out in 2015 to mark the first centenary of the genocide experienced by the Armenians people, where 1.5 million Armenians in the whole Turkish territory and about 500 thousand Syriac Christians died in those massacres. Most or the people died in the region of Tor Abdin at southeast Turkey.

Any deployment or re-edit to this article without reference to the site of Ankawa.com will result in taking legal action.