On the 25th anniversary of the genocide against the Kurdish people, Kurdocide Watch Foundation with the Support of the Ministry of Martyrs and Anfal Affairs organizes the second conference on “Kurds and International Criminal Justice” under the Slogan:
“With Justice Principles of the International Criminal Court, Genocide against the Kurdish People will not be repeated”
8:30- 9:00: Registration
9:00-9:30: Brief Opening remarks:
– Speech on behalf of the organizing committee, Ali Mohammad Mahmoud.
– Speech by his Excellency Mr. Sabah Ahmad, Minister of Martyrs.
– Speech on behalf of the Iraqi Ministry for Human Rights.
– Speech on behalf of the Legal Committee of the Iraqi Parliament, Mr. Khalid Shawani.
– Speech on behalf of the Human Rights Committee of the Kurdistan Parliament, MP MS. Haza Sliman.
– Speech on behalf of the Iraqi High Criminal Court.
9:30-10:00: Coffee break & refreshments
10:00- 10:45: The International Criminal Court: Establishment, Jurisdiction, and the Role of Civil Society.
– Moderator: Professor Jabar Qadir, researcher in Genocide.
– The Rome Conference and the Establishment of the ICC: Dr. Ammar Tareq Al’ani, Iraqi National Committee for the Support of Iraq’s accession to the Rome Statute.
– The Jurisdiction of the ICC over war crimes, crimes against humanity and genocide: Hakem Rizkar
– The Role of Civil Society Organizations in Establishing and advocating for a Fair, Effective, and Independent International Criminal Court. Sunil Pal, Head of the Legal Section, the Coalition for the International Criminal Court.
10:45- 11:30: The Role of the ICC in Ending Impunity
– Achievements of the ICC after 10 years of its existence
– The Role of the ICC in fighting impunity: Hamdiya Faraj, Iraqi National Committee for the Support of Iraq’s accession to the Rome Statute.
11:30-12:00: Coffee Break& refreshments
12:00- 12:45: Crimes and Violations of the Former Iraqi regime, the role of the UN, and the Iraqi judiciary.
– Crimes and Violations of the former Iraqi regime: Dr. Mohammad Turki.
– The Role of the ICC as a Mechanism for Coexistence in Iraq: Aso’ Kareem, Parliamentarian, Kurdistan Parliament.
– The Genocide against the Faily Kurds in Iraq: Dr. Kamal Aziz Ketuly
13:00- 13:45: The ICC and the Arab World
– Engagement of the ICC Jurisdiction in the MENA region with focus on the situation in Darfur: Diala Chehade, The International Criminal Court.
– The Arab Spring and demands for justice in the Arab World: Amal Nassar, Coalition for the International Criminal Court.
– Prospects of Iraq’s ratification to the Rome Statute: Hasan Shaaban, Iraqi National Committee for the Support of Iraq’s accession to the Rome Statute.
13:45- 14:45: Lunch Break
14:45- 16:00: Open Discussion, Concluding Remarks & Recommendations
16:00: Closure of Conference.
*On February 24, Kurdocide will hold day-long meetings with journalists and lawyers with the participation of the speakers.